Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First Impressions: World of Goo

World of Goo (WiiWare) is a puzzle game by indie game dev 2D Boy.
It's also a physics game in a way, that reminds me of LocoRoco in a way.
You interact with little creatures called Goo Balls.
They behave sort of like Lemmings, simple minded and almost always moving.
To learn more, Wiki it. XD

Story - 7/10
There isn't much of a story to be honest.
What is there is simplistic, but it's quirky and neat.
The only characters there are to my knowledge are the random people in some cutscenes and the totally awesome Sign Painter. He or she is full of win, and I have yet to see him or her. Only his or her signs. XD

Gameplay - 10/10
The gameplay is flawless. Controls are done with the Wiimote, and the Wiimote only.
The Wiimote is used in the same way as in the Wii Menu. Like a pointer.
It's basically a physics engine for you to play with. Use the goos to create towers and bridges and get them to the pipe at the end. I think that a certain someone should be damn good at this due to their experience with pipes. :P
Moving on, you have to get your goos across chasms, and around obstacles and hazards. The gameplay is everything in this game.

Graphics - 8/10
Now, graphics are always a subject of debate amongst gamers it seems. As for me, I don't care about them. I've enjoyed Pong. As long as I can tell what's going on, I'm fine. The quality of the graphics don't affect a game to me. Moving along, I like the graphics of this game. The art style is appealing and simplistic. The goos themselves look very nice as well. It's nothing eye-popping, but it's very pleasant.

Music - 7/10
The music is awesome. Some of the tracks are epic, and some fast paced.
It sets the atmosphere well, which is funny considering the goos.
It's almost like the game makes light of the music being epic sounding.
Still, it kind of personifies the goos a bit. Their struggle to get to the pipe. XD
Especially on the Blustery level. Damn nice choice of music on that one.

Sound - 7/10
I give Sound it's own category because SFX are seperate from the music to me.
Anyways, the sound effects are neat as well.
The goos make realisticish sounds, which is kinda disconcerting.
Also the sounds they make as you build are sort of funny, and make them more alive.
Only sound that doesn't fit IMO is the vacuum cleaner sound that happens when the pipe is on. It kind of makes sense, but I think some other sound should be used.

Overall: 39/50. That's almost four out of five stars!
Personal Opinion: This is the best WiiWare title to date so far, with Megaman 9, and Bomberman Blast just behind it. 3500 Brownie Points!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home