Thursday, October 23, 2008

First Impressions: Force Unleashed

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is an Action/Fighting game by varying developers, depending on the console or handheld it is for; LucasArts for the PS3, and 360 versions. Krome Studios for the PS2, PSP, and Wii versions. n-Space for the DS version. Universomo for the iPod Touch, iPhone, mobile phone, and N-Gage versions.

The game is set in between Episodes III & IV of the movies, and follows the exploits of Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice who's known only by his codename: Starkiller.
To learn more, Wiki it. XD

I will be doing a 1st Imp. Review of the Wii version. So here we go.


Story - 9/10
The story of the game is done quite well actually.
Things have taken a darker turn and we get to see more of Darth Vader's history.
Some of what happens has been predictable, but it didn't detract.
Any fan of the series would definitely enjoy the story of this game.

Gameplay - 8/10
The gameplay is the mainstay of the game.
You use both the Wiimote and the Nunchuk at the same time.
The Wiimote is used mainly for the lightsaber, while the nunchuk is used for the Force and for controlling Starkiller's movements. I feel that the controls really help to immerse you in the game.
Although, sometimes I think it's just trying to rope people in with a gimmick. But that's usually what innovation is looked at anyways. Moving on, I found that some of the motions aren't registered well. I find myself making Starkiller stab despite making slashing motions. I also haven't managed to make Starkiller do Force Choke even once in the game. I've tried, and at best I end up slamming the enemy I've Force Gripped into the ground. I'm not going to rule out that I just somehow suck really bad at it though. XD.

Graphics - 6/10
The game's graphics are, well, mediocre. For a Wii game that is. The quality is rather substandard which is a surprise. Textures aren't too bad. I think my main gripe is with the lighting at times. It's downright terrible. This is most notable in Felucia. Although, if you turn up the Brightness to two levels below the maximum amount, it makes things look much better. It's not a lot, but it helps.

Music - 8/10
The music is nicely placed. Many classic tracks from the movie series are heard here.
There's not much I can say about the music, there isn't anything new.
It's all tracks and themes we've heard before.
However, the selection is really good, so it fits at the right times.


Sound - 10/10
The SFX are perfect in the game. The lasers, explosions, everything.
Lightsaber noises, everything.
Machine sounds, wookiee noises, everything.
Did I mention everything? XD

Overall: 41/50. That's just over four stars!
Personal Opinion: This is a pretty good Star Wars game. One of the better ones I've seen. I suggest giving it a shot, especially if you're a Star Wars fan.
5200 Brownie Points!

4 Comments:

Blogger Malwave said...

if I can say so

the Xbox 360 version is just as good...I would say better, but you usually say I'm wrong x3

October 23, 2008 at 1:24 p.m.  
Blogger Deekin said...

I've played the PS3, 360, and Wii versions.
The PS3 and 360 versions are basically the same.
The Wii version has better gameplay and more extras.

Due to Gameplay > Graphics, the Wii version wins.

October 23, 2008 at 7:46 p.m.  
Blogger Malwave said...

I did say you would say I was wrong

XD...

wait, so I was right that I was gonna be wrong....


wtf O_o

October 23, 2008 at 11:57 p.m.  
Blogger Deekin said...

Paradox! XD

October 24, 2008 at 6:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home